Call for Submissions: Local Art for Daniels FirstHome Markham Sheppard community
Call for Submissions
Local Art for New Residential Community (Markham Sheppard)
The Daniels Corporation invites artists from Scarborough, Toronto (Malvern and Agincourt area and surrounding neighbourhoods) to submit proposals in consideration for the indoor residential amenities at the Daniels FirstHome Markham Sheppard community. The installation of the artwork will take place in spring 2021.
For The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) each new home community is a work of art — literally. From conception through to completion, every Daniels neighbourhood is designed to enhance its surroundings, the community and to make a statement about its unique character. Daniels has pioneered a new approach to décor and art focused on sourcing local art for each of our new buildings. Within each project Daniels looks to source a wide range of art forms from paintings to photography to sculptures and beyond. This addition of striking local art through community engagement has quickly become a cornerstone of the company’s design philosophy.
The community is located at the southeast corner of Markham Road and Sheppard Avenue East.
Opportunities for Local Art at Markham Sheppard
In consultation with Daniels’ Décor Department, a number of opportunities for social purchasing of local artwork have been identified for the common areas and amenity spaces within Building B of the Markham Sheppard development to bring the space to life and tie everything together.
For this opportunity, priority will be given to artists who self-identify as:
- Having a connection to Scarborough, Toronto (Malvern and Agincourt area/surrounding neighbourhoods): current or former resident, or works within the specific communities identified
- Emerging and mid-career artists
- Diverse and equity-seeking individuals including but not limited to members of visible minority groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ people
For this project, artists are asked to submit digital artwork only: photography, digital painting or other digitally rendered artwork. Daniels will be responsible for printing of the selected pieces on acrylic/metal, as well as installation of the artwork, and will endeavour to maintain original colour as closely as possible within the limitations of the print process. The selected artists and/or artist teams will be required to provide the final approved file/s as high quality, high resolution file/s (300 DPI). Note this is not required for the proposal, but Artist must ultimately be able to supply the final Artwork, if selected to the required resolution.
Look and feel imagery showing the overall design intent for the spaces are included below. A breakdown of the pieces to be commissioned and location is included in the Response Cover Page. Artists are invited to submit artwork that would fit within the overall look and feel as shown in the inspiration images provided.
As each Artwork will be a large file, the selected Artist/s will use a transfer vehicle that allows the sharing of large files. The Artist will provide the completed Artwork design in digital form within one week of contract award for approval, and subsequently provide the full, high resolution file once approved.
- Please submit as attachments by email only (no file transfer links to download please) to LocalArt@danielscorp.com to a maximum of 10 MB total.
- Response Cover Page – please read and complete the Response Cover page thoroughly. Completion of the Response Cover Page is mandatory to be considered for the project.
- Curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist – The CV must include your full contact information and any other supporting material you would like to include (web links, reviews, catalogues, etc.) (1-page maximum);
- An artist statement – indicating any connection to Scarborough, Toronto (Malvern or Agincourt neighbourhoods), or rationale for interest in working in this community (1 page maximum);
- 1-2 images, sketches or examples of artwork you have created or proposed piece(s) – for consideration or commission. For each image please include the following information: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion in the Response Cover Page
- Submission must include proposed fee(s) for each piece.
For more details, download the complete Call and Response Cover page here.
Only one submission per artist or artist group will be accepted.
The deadline for submissions is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 10, 2021.
For any other questions, please contact LocalArt@danielscorp.com.