Call for Submissions: Ecologies & Cosmologies [Themed Commission Residency 2022]
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Ecologies & Cosmologies
[Themed Commission Residency 2022]
Co-presented by Trinity Square Video, Scarborough Arts, Whippersnapper Gallery, Art Metropole, and SpaceMakerII
Deadline: April 30, 2022
Calling all artists, curators, and creative technologists interested in the topic of ecologies and cosmologies!
Trinity Square Video is seeking submissions for our annual Themed Commission: a summer residency and exhibition program inviting artists, designers, filmmakers and other creatives to produce or workshop new projects in a collaborative environment of like-minded artists.
Titled Ecologies & Cosmologies, this year’s theme invites project proposals that explore and critique different forms of interdependency, networks of life, and destabilize fixed entities/identities/borders through technological, ecological or cosmological metaphors.
We encourage proposals that are experimental, playful, and interdisciplinary. From May-July, successful applicants will engage in idea exchange and collaboration through regular meetings with other artists-in-residence. They will also have access to mentorship, production gear, and other resources to complete and present their proposed project in a multi-site exhibition across Toronto.*
In reference to the theme of interconnectedness, selected projects will take place in different venues. Our partner venues are sites that culminate in a constellation of public-facing spaces, inextricably linked to the structure of the city and bringing together a number of local artist-run communities.
Projects may tackle topics such as:
- Different theories or cultural and religious perspectives on cosmologies, consciousness, and interconnectedness
- Myths, Fantasies, Science Fictions, and other kinds of story-telling
- Rhizomatic structures and networks of meaning
- Biomimicry, astronomy, environmental science, or other life sciences
- Community-building, or environmental/social activism
- Natural ecologies as metaphors or structures for social and political ideology
- Equitable and sustainable futures
Projects may take the form of (but are not limited to):
- Film, video-essay, presentation/lecture, workshop
- Multimedia or interactive installation
- 2D images or 3D renderings
- Live or documented performance
- Online publication, website, video game or social media platform
- Interventions in public spaces
Selected artists receive:
- Access to the Trinity Square Video Media Lab throughout the duration of the residency
- $500 cash in production support
- $1000 credit in production equipment rentals for the creation of their projects
- Trinity Square Video production membership or renewal
- Participation in a group exhibition with CARFAC artist fees (August 2022)
* This year’s Themed Commission Exhibition will take place in multiple sites across Toronto. Our co-presenters and venue partners include: Scarborough Arts, Whippersnapper Gallery, Art Metropole, SpaceMakerII.
Trinity Square Video’s Themed Commission program is generously supported by the EQ Bank.
Trinity Square Video
401 Richmond Street West, suite 121
Toronto ON M5V 3A8
Trinity Square Video is an accessible venue.