Call for Proposals: Mississauga Festival of Trees Installations 2021
CALL FOR ARTISTS 2021
Mississauga Festival of Trees Installations
CreativeHub 1352 invites artists and artist collectives/groups to submit proposals for temporary Tree and Wood Piling Art Installations to be presented at the Small Arms Inspection Building as part of the Mississauga Festival of Trees in December, 2021.
Application Deadline: October 29th, 2021, 5:00pm EST
Information & Application Form: https://bit.ly/3BdUJLH
As part of the festival celebrations, organizers are seeking submissions for Wood Piling Art and Tree Art Installations. Wood Piling Installations will illustrate the creative interpretation of wood through stacking and piling. Imaginative and contemporary tree art installation works will celebrate the winter season and the unique cultural diversity of Mississauga.
Small Arms Inspection Building
CreativeHub 1352 has allocated a budget of $2,000 per Tree Installation, inclusive of artist fees and materials, and $1,250 per Wood Piling Art Installation.
Both applications are open to individual artists, artist collectives, educational organizations, groups, and not- for-profit or charitable organizations operating in Ontario. Artists may produce solo works or collaborative projects.
Wood Piling Applications: We are seeking submissions from people of all levels of experience and encourage artisans and those who are interested in the design, texture, construction and stacking or piling of wood to apply.
Tree Installations: We are looking for approximately 10 temporary Tree Installations. Consideration should be given to the aesthetic of the site, architecture of the building, seasonal nature of the festival, and natural environment. Proposals for temporary tree installations should highlight Ontario’s cultural diversity, with an emphasis on the key themes of culture, creativity, and family. Tree installations can be creative literal representations or more abstract interpretations of these themes.
More information here: https://bit.ly/2YqdsWl
Tree Installations Structural Guidelines:
- Height: min. 8’ / max. 12’
- Area: min. 7’ x 7’ / max. 10’ x 10’ Must be a freestanding 3- dimensional structure that does not need any additional supports.
Wood Piling Installations: We are looking for a minimum of 4 original wood pilings. The subject matter of the Wood Piling Installations are open to the artist’s interpretation but consideration should be given to the aesthetic of the site, architecture of the building, seasonal nature of the festival, and natural environment.
More information here: https://bit.ly/3uU5ekT
Wood Piling Installations Structural Guidelines:
- Stacked wood used as the primary installation material, however other materials may be included. (i.e., metal, upcycled materials);
- Freestanding structure that does not need any additional support. Proposals should include a description of how the artist plans on ensuring that the installation is structurally sound;
- Maximum height: 6 feet. There is no maximum area, however the review committee reserves the right to ask artists to adjust their initial proposed size;
- Non-hazardous and non-interactive installations. Visitors will be walking close to the installations for viewing. Please make sure no hazardous materials are incorporated; Durable structures. Installations are able to endure outdoor weather conditions during the 2-week period they are on display.
If you are interested in participating in the MFT Tree or Wood Art Installation Programs, please apply online:
- Artist Statement (500 words max): Tell us about yourself or your organization and your artistic practice, as it relates to the project you are proposing to CreativeHub 1352;
- Project Description (500 words max): Please provide a brief description of your proposed installation;
- Technical Description and Budget: The technical description should include a preliminary list of all foreseeable technical requirements including equipment and materials necessary for installation at the SAIB. The Budget should indicate roughly how much your project will cost to create and install, itemized by category. Please submit the Technical Description and Budget as one PDF, which can contain a combination of written statements, spreadsheets, or technical drawings;
- Visual Support Material (5-10): Please include 5-10 images to supplement your proposal. These can include technical sketches, images of your proposed materials, past work, etc. You may also include links to video and/or audio files;
- Visual Support Material List: Please include a short list describing the Visual Support Materials.
Application Deadline: October 29th, 2021
Artists notified of approval: November 5th, 2021
Access to building/grounds for Installation: Starting November 30th (exact times TBD)
Final Installation Date: December 8th, 2021
Tear Down: December 20-22, 2021
Please do not hesitate to contact Meredith Wood at CreativeHub 1352 with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & APPLICATION FORM:
For additional information, please visit CreativeHub 1352’s Wood Piling and Tree Art Installation Packages, available online at the link below. When ready to apply, please fill out the online application form:
CreativeHub 1352 would like to thank the following agencies and businesses for their support: the Government of Ontario, McKenna Logistics, and the City of Mississauga.
OTHER WAYS TO GET INVOLVED: