Call for Project Proposals: THIRD SHIFT 2019
DEADLINE: APRIL 15
Third Space is now seeking project proposals from artists, collectives and organizations to be included in THIRD SHIFT, our annual festival of public contemporary artworks!
ABOUT THIRD SHIFT
Established in 2015, THIRD SHIFT aims to offer citizens a unique opportunity to engage with contemporary art and re-imagine their city. THIRD SHIFT holds space for new experiences and communal exchange through the exhibition of temporary installations, interventions, performances and projections in the heart of Uptown Saint John. Motivated by the potential for deeper engagement, THIRD SHIFT has expanded its schedule to include two days of artistic presentations and workshops leading up to our signature nighttime exhibition on Friday, August 16th, 2019.
Geographically, THIRD SHIFT takes place within unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik, Mi’kmaq, and Passamaquoddy First Nations and in Canada’s first incorporated city. We encourage proposals that reflect our objectives as an alternative, non-commercial, contemporary artist-run centre. We aim to support efforts that are exploratory, challenging and critical in nature. We encourage emerging and established artists to propose projects that have not yet been realized as well as investigations that have been started or completed elsewhere.
This year THIRD SHIFT will be hosting a SPOTLIGHT EXHIBITION generously sponsored by the Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation. This will be a curated exhibition of 6-8 projects by New Brunswick artists within the wider festival that specifically explore the historical, architectural, cultural, or natural landscape of region. The works will be selected based on their capacity to unpack stories or issues within the city of Saint John or the province of New Brunswick’s past, present, and future in innovative and engaging ways.
- Projects must be temporary or ephemeral in nature. They may however be set up to span any amount of time within the three days of the festival.
- Third Space will be paying selected artists an honorarium fee in accordance to the 2019 CARFAC fee schedule.
- Limited production and accommodation funds will be available. Amounts will depend on Third Space’s financial resources for the festival. Funding requirements must be outlined in your proposal.
- Third Space does not provide technical equipment for projects such as projectors, screens and cables. We will however help artists secure power sources.
- THIRD SHIFT takes place in various off-site locations. Third Space is committed to organizing a barrier-free festival and will work with artists to select project locations that meet their access requirements.
Proposals, including the application form, images, and optional artist CV, should be sent by email to the address: email@example.com with the subject line: THIRD SHIFT 2019. Third Space will also accept proposals via phone, video or audio file if email or text-based format is not accessible to the applicant. For more information about the festival please visit our website: http://thirdshift.ca/