Call for Artists: 61st Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Join Canada’s longest-running contemporary outdoor art fair in July 2022!
Early Bird Deadline: February 28, 2022
Final Application Deadline: March 8, 2022
Choose how you want to participate:
- 3 Days at Nathan Phillips Square + 10-Day Online Fair, or
- 10-Day Toronto Online Art Fair at TOAF.ca from anywhere in Canada and beyond
TOAF has been launching artists’ careers and building a trusted discovery platform for the public since 1961. With 130,000 annual visitors to Nathan Phillips Square, 60,000 website visitors, and 1.1 million annual page views, TOAF’s loyal community of art lovers continues to grow.
TOAF created an innovative national showcase and e-commerce platform during the pandemic, resulting in proven traffic, opportunities, and income for our artists that contributed to their economic prosperity and recovery. TOAF’s online platform has become Canada’s fastest-growing career-sustaining art platform.
Who can apply?
Individual artists working in photography, sculpture, painting, printmaking, illustration, glass, wood, textiles, jewellery and more, with formal or informal training are encouraged to apply. TOAF welcomes artists from all stages of their careers, racial backgrounds, and abilities.
What TOAF artists have to say…
“I have recommended TOAF to many fellow artists. As an emerging artist, the Fair has given me more confidence in myself as an artist and in my work. TOAF also did a great job at marketing the event. We did a live Instagram tour, and a collector saw the live video, looked me up, came down and bought a painting from my Instagram. On my third day, an art consultant came to visit my booth. I did not know that she came to scout me out. The next day, Jane Corkin invited me to the gallery. Months later, I got to participate in Art Toronto, represented by Corkin Gallery.”
– Rosi Di Meglio, 2021 Participating Artist
“I feel thrilled to connect with art lovers who could appreciate my philosophy and life experience. This year, TOAF made us share our hearts and minds with art lovers from different places all over the world, with such a user-friendly digital platform with no pain. Thanks for providing me, one of the emerging artists, with such great exposure and a reputable stage to find homes for my artworks.”
– Christy Chor, 2020 and 2021 Participating Artist
Why apply to TOAF?
- Launch and sustain your art career with TOAF’s opportunity platform. TOAF has built a 60-year legacy of launching careers — don’t miss your chance to be a part of it. TOAF is proud to have hosted many renowned Canadian artists, such as Edward Burtynsky, Barbara Astman, Joanne Tod and many more.
- Win one of our prestigious awards. $40,000 cash and in-kind awards are given to outstanding artists each year. Through our awards program, TOAF has awarded almost $1 million to exceptional artists in the past 60 years. All artists are eligible for unique opportunities like the Catherine Bratty Best of Art Fair Award ($6,000), Murray & Marvelle Koffler Founder’s Award ($6,000), Best of Student Award ($3,500 Value), Mayor’s Purchase Award (selected by the Mayor of Toronto) and many more.
- You don’t need to break the bank to participate in an art fair. TOAF is Canada’s most affordable art fair of this calibre. As a nonprofit, we strive to keep our costs low and provide accessible and flexible participation packages for artists in all stages of their careers. A portion of the Fair is reserved for students and emerging artists at a highly discounted price. Artists also keep 100% of their proceeds for in-person sales, and a modest admin fee is added for artwork sales in the Online Fair.
What do we offer?
- A trusted artist discovery platform: With a growing number of loyal visitors, participating artists are able to benefit from sustained global discovery through TOAF’s in-person and online showcase. Within 2 years of launching the online platform, we’ve cultivated an international network of art buyers and facilitated online sales of 1,200+ artworks throughout Canada, the US, and Asia.
- A far-reaching & impactful marketing campaign: Benefit from our multi-platform national marketing and promotions with advertising in BlogTO, CBC Arts, Globe & Mail, Designlines, TTC, outdoor postering across the city, local radio stations, as well as publicity & earned media coverage (features in TV, radio, etc). Plus, additional opportunities to be included in our social media & newsletter campaigns (36,000+ reach), and many more.
- Ongoing professional development: TOAF offers emerging and established artists dedicated mentorship through application workshops and Booth Camp info sessions. Save the date: Our application workshop and mock jury session will be on January 18, 2022.
- And so much more!
How can artists apply?
You will need to prepare:
- 6 artwork images
- 1 image of your work in context (in a booth, table top or on a wall)
- A brief artist statement (500 characters)
- Description of your techniques/process (200 characters)
Submit your application online with a non-refundable $50 application fee ($30 for students).
Learn more about the Call for Artists, and apply early. It only takes 8 minutes to complete your application!
About Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Toronto Outdoor Art Fair (TOAF) is Canada’s leading contemporary, juried, outdoor art fair. Founded in 1961, the Fair was established to put visual artists and makers in direct contact with the public and nurture artistic excellence and entrepreneurship. For 60 years, TOAF has been instrumental in launching artists’ careers and bringing art into people’s everyday lives. This free public event has showcased 350+ visual artists and makers and attracted 130,000 visitors to Nathan Phillips Square each year. In response to the pandemic, TOAF created a highly successful and engaging online economic platform and programming. The Fair continues to connect artists and art lovers through year-long showcase, income generation and discovery opportunities for independent artists.
The Toronto Outdoor Art Fair is a registered charitable nonprofit organization.
Canadian Charity #: 119259620 RR0001
Questions? Contact us.
416-408-2754 | email@example.com