Call for Applications: William and Isabel Pope NSCAD Painting Residency 2024
Call for Applications: William and Isabel Pope NSCAD Painting Residency in Halifax, Nova Scotia
Since 2011, the Robert Pope Foundation and NSCAD University (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) have jointly offered a 2-month residency with studio and honorarium to an exceptional Canadian painter each year.
Open Call for Applications:
We invite emerging and mid-career painters to apply for this unique opportunity to work and exhibit in our dynamic art college environment.
This residency is open to all Canadian painters who have completed an MFA or equivalent degree. MFA degree must have been completed prior to the residency’s start date.
September 16, 2024
Application Due Date
March 4, 2024
The William and Isabel Pope Painting Residency Provides:
- A spacious painting studio accessible 24/7 at NSCAD University’s Fountain Campus
- An $8,000 honorarium from the Robert Pope Foundation toward accommodation and living costs
- Up to $500 for travel expenses (with receipts)
- A two-week solo exhibition at NSCAD’s Anna Leonowens Gallery scheduled to coincide with the residency itself
The resident artist will be expected to do studio visits with current MFA students and to give two artist talks: an artist talk for students, and a gallery talk during their exhibition. The resident artist may also be asked to host occasional studio visits from painting classes.
Please note that the studio and many parts of the Fountain Campus are unfortunately not accessible for those with mobility issues.
Please send the following items in a single file in PDF format.
Maximum size: 20MB
- Artist CV
- Artist Statement – max. 400 words
- Project Proposal – max. 400 words
- References: Provide names and contact information for 2 professional references. Letters not required.
- 15 Images of recent painting-based work. Images must also be formatted to fit into the PDF
- Image list: title, year, medium, dimensions and short descriptions if necessary for each of your images
- Contact information: Provide your name, phone number, email address and website address
All submissions must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other inquiries related to the residency please contact email@example.com
Shoora Majedian, Fall 2023
“My experience at the William and Isabel Pope Artist Residency at NSCAD in Halifax was truly transformative. The warm atmosphere, the inspiring architecture of Duke campus, the ample facilities surrounding my studio, and the lively artistic community collectively created an ideal environment for my creative exploration. This experience has not only elevated my artistic skills but has also expanded my horizons as an individual. I am immensely grateful for this opportunity and wholeheartedly recommend the William and Isabel Pope Artist Residency to any painters seeking a nurturing and inspiring environment for pushing the boundaries of their creativity.”
Karine Fréchette, Fall 2022
“It has been a fantastic residency, both creatively and socially. The walkable and vivifying access to beautiful parks and the water was great for gathering documentation sources from natural elements. Working intensively in a studio right inside the school was an enriching experience, NSCAD being such a wonderful and peaceful place. But above all, I’ve been warmly welcomed and incredibly supported by the school faculty and the local art community from day one. I feel lucky and privileged for this time in Halifax.”
Amanda Boulos (2022)
Joy Wong (2019)
John Player (2018)
Nam Nguyen (2017)
Erin Loree (2016)
Julie Trudel (2015)
Colin Muir Dorward (2014)
Rachel McFarlane (2013)
Rick Leong (2012 )
5163 Duke Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3J6