Call for Applications: Est-Nord-Est Residencies for Artists 2022-2023
2022-2023 Call for applications / Est-Nord-Est, résidence d’artistes
Residencies for artists
Deadline: January 20, 2022
Est-Nord-Est (ENE) is an artist-run centre whose mission is to provide an international community of artists and authors in contemporary art with support by offering space and time for research and experimentation, as well as privileged access to local resources and knowhow.
The centre is situated in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, a village on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, in a unique geographic and historical locale. The predominant aspects of the landscapes are farms, forests, and the river. Saint-Jean-Port-Joli is situated 115 km from Quebec City and 350 km from Montreal.
Originally based on the idea of encounters between sculptors with contemporary practices and those using regional traditional skills, ENE now welcomes contemporary visual-arts artists from all disciplines. The residencies at ENE are intended for professional artists, both established and emerging, from all over the world. They offer artists and authors an opportunity to explore their research more deeply, to experiment, and to create in a cultural space that is unique, lively, and stimulating. ENE is a member of Res Artis and of the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec.
The eight-week residency periods, which bring together four artists and one author in the field of contemporary art, are offered in spring, summer, fall and winter. ENE occupies a building designed and built for the residencies of artists and authors. The architectural concept places exchanges, friendly relations, and technical and logistical assistance at the heart of the experience offered to residents.
Duration of the residency
Spring: April 18 to June 10, 2022
Summer: July 4 to August 26, 2022
Fall: September 19 to November 11, 2022
Winter: January 30 to March 24, 2023
The eight-week residency includes:
- Residency honorarium of CAD $1,560
- Access to an individual studio-workshop to be used for work and lodging
- Access to specialized equipment (wood, metal, ceramics)
- Access to a documentation centre (books, magazines)
- Access to local resources
- Technical and logistical support
- Access to a bicycle in season / occasional local transportation in winter
Due to the pandemic, the residents and employees will have to follow a sanitary protocol put in place by ENE.
* Materials, travel fees and other living charges are at the residents’ expense.
ENE offers artists:
- Time and a place to devote themselves to research and experimentation
- Privileged access to local resources and diverse areas of knowhow
- An international art community
Expectations towards the artists:
- To make full use of the residency period offered for his/her research
- To be present during the entire residency period
- To present his/her approach and research interests at the beginning of the residency at a public event organized by ENE
- To present his/her research and experiments carried out during the residency at a public event organized by ENE at the end of the residency period
- OPTIONAL : To propose a workshop for a youth or community organization in the region (an additional fee of $200 is offered to artists whose workshop proposal is selected)
Artists are selected according to the following criteria:
- The artistic quality of the proposal
- The potential impact of the residency on the artist’s career
- A constructive mix of art practices
- A mix of genders and generations
- A diversity of cultural identities
A jury of peers evaluates the applications. For each residency, ENE selects artists and authors whose practices are complementary in nature or in dialogue with each other and comply with its mandate.
Submit an application – Deadline: January 20, 2022
Your application must include:
- A curriculum vitae (maximum two pages, PDF format)
- An artist’s statement (maximum one page, PDF format)
- A text presenting your research, experimentation, or production intentions, including any specific needs in terms of technical resources, if applicable (maximum one page, PDF format)
- A portfolio of 10 to 15 images (JPG format) accompanied by a description list of the images. If video works are used, provide a link (Vimeo, YouTube) accompanied by the password, if applicable. Make sure that the videos will be accessible.
The application must be submitted online. No application sent by mail, incomplete or received after the deadline will be accepted.