Call for Applications: 2023-2024 RBC Emerging Artist Residency Program at the RMG
Apply Now: RBC Emerging Artist Residency Program at the RMG
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is excited to announce that we are currently accepting applications for the 2023-24 RBC Emerging Artist Residency Program from early career artists of any age who want to take ownership of this unique residency opportunity.
Application Deadline: Thursday, September 14, 2022, 11:59 PM
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
This 15-week residency is hosted onsite in a 200 sq ft private studio at the RMG. During their time with us, emerging artists in residence are supported by RMG staff and presented with opportunities for professional growth and collaboration. We encourage artists to create new work, experiment with bold ideas, and make meaningful connections with our visitors and community. The residency concludes with a solo exhibition in Gallery A (900 sq ft).
- The RBC Emerging Artist Residency is designed for ambitious and experimental artists with the desire and ability to use our studio facilities and who are within commuting distance of the gallery. We strongly encourage artists who have lived or currently reside in Durham Region to apply.
- Applicants should be able to commit 2 days/week to onsite work.
- The RMG defines emerging artist as a developing, early-career artist who has produced a small body of work and achieved some recognition and/or public exhibition experience. You are eligible for this program if you meet that definition, your artistic practice is the primary goal for your long-term career, and you intend to use the residency to develop your artistic career.
- 15 weeks in the residency studio followed by an eight-week exhibition.
- Professional support and consultation from RMG staff in the development and installation of your exhibition.
- Promotion of your work through our communication channels.
- Opportunities to develop your professional practice through workshops, meetings with our curatorial staff, and the creation of public programming.
2023-24 RESIDENCY SLOTS
Residency A (Spring/Summer)
Residency Dates: February 27 – June 11, 2023 (Spring)
Exhibition Dates: June 17 – August 13, 2023 (Summer)
Residency B (Summer/Fall)
Residency Dates: June 19 – October 1, 2023 (Summer)
Exhibition Dates: October 7 – December 3, 2023 (Fall)
Residency C (Winter/Spring)
Residency Dates: October 23 – December 17, 2023 and January 2 – February 18, 2024 (Winter)
Exhibition Dates: February 24 – April 21, 2024 (Spring)
The gallery will pay a residency fee of $2500 to support production, materials, travel, and installation costs, as well as a $3700 artist exhibition fee. An additional fee will be paid to the artist should they choose to deliver a public programming event such as a talk or workshop during their exhibition.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the program, please complete this form. You will have to upload an application package in one document, saved as a PDF with the file name Your Name_Application 2023.pdf. Your PDF cannot exceed 6 MB.
Please include the following in your application package, in this order:
- A short bio (maximum 150 words) that highlights your education and accomplishments as a professional artist.
- An artist statement (maximum 150 words) that, in concise and specific language, summarizes your artistic practice and point of view.
- Examples of your work (with captions, including title, date, dimensions, and medium) that support your goals and the direction you intend to take during the residency.
◦ You can include links to videos on your website, Vimeo, or YouTube.
◦ Maximum 10 images and/or videos total.
- A project proposal (maximum 300 words) expressing what your artistic practice could gain from a residency at the RMG, clearly outlining your project, objectives, and desired outcomes for the duration of the residency. If you plan to involve any other groups or people in your work or project, please indicate that here.
- Your residency will be supported by an experienced staff of curators, educators, and administrators. Please provide a statement expressing how you would take advantage of professional development opportunities at the RMG, learning from and participating in our culture of collaboration and cross-departmental engagement (maximum 150 words).
- Your Artist CV (Maximum 3 pages)
◦ If you have an artist website or social accounts, please include the relevant links in your CV.
All applications are due via this form by Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 11:59 PM.
If you have questions about this opportunity, please contact Hannah Keating at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-576-3000 ext. 102.
Click here to view this information on our website.
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. We encourage applications from members of visible and invisible minority groups, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons across the spectrums of sexual orientation and gender identities. If there are ways we can remove barriers to the application process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
The RBC Emerging Artist Residency Program is supported by the RBC Foundation’s Emerging Artist Project.
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery
72 Queen St.