Call for 2021 Exhibition Proposals
The Mary E. Black Gallery is pleased to receive proposals from community groups, cultural groups, guilds, artists/craftspeople and curators for exhibitions in 2021. Annually, seven shows are selected by the Exhibition Review Committee to fulfill the gallery’s mandate, as Nova Scotia’s only public fine craft gallery, to exhibit traditional and contemporary fine craft created by aspiring and established local, regional, Canadian and international artists. Juried, curated and travelling exhibitions are eligible.
Year round the Centre for Craft Nova Scotia hosts exhibitions in the Mary E. Black Gallery which educate the public about craft and design and promote the pursuit of excellence in the craft community.
Submissions must include the following:
Letter of Intent/Proposal:
- Clear description of theme/concept and the type of work defined by medium, technique, membership or function (maximum of 500 words)
- Proposed or working title of exhibition
- A list of artist/s and justification for their inclusion if the proposal is curatorial or a group exhibition
- Please indicate if you are open to the possibility of being curated into a two person show, group show, or shared use of our gallery space.
- A list of works to be exhibited (include artist, title, medium, dimensions in metric, date of work) or if not yet created, a list of what is planned for inclusion
- Support material which can include any materials relevant to the application, images (maximum of 20), promotional materials, reviews and catalogues
- Image requirements are as follows: JPEG format, maximum of 1024×768 resolution
- A list of the support material provided including the title, medium, dimensions in metric, date of work
- A curriculum vitae of the principal organizer/curator or artist
Proposals and support material must be submitted via Dropbox link to firstname.lastname@example.org 4pm AST on March 29th, 2019. Late submissions, incomplete, or submissions sent outside dropbox will NOT be accepted.
The Mary E Black Gallery staff offers assistance to applicants who face barriers to applying and may have difficulty with the process. If you require assistance, please contact the gallery at email@example.com or 902-492-2522.
Sign up to Dropbox for free to share your uploaded images and files here: https://www.dropbox.com/
To learn how to share a link with us, please refer to this link: http://www.dropbox.com/help/274/en
Proposal evaluation is based on:
- The artistic merit of the exhibition proposed
- The quality of the applicant’s work to date
- The ability of the organization/individual to bring the exhibition to fruition
The Mary E. Black Gallery covers:
- Artist’s fees based on recommended CARFAC rates
- Cost of an opening reception
- Colour invitation / exhibition brochure
- Inclusion in our standard publicity program