Assistant Preparator, Kamloops Art Gallery
The Kamloops Art Gallery is seeking an Assistant Preparator to assist with the creation of exhibitions that realize the artist’s vision.
The Assistant Preparator works closely with the Kamloops Art Gallery Curator, Head Preparator, and exhibiting artists to plan and implement exhibitions in the Gallery. Responsibilities include assisting with all aspects of exhibition planning, construction, installation, and de-installation; assisting with the maintenance and organization of the packing and collection area and of the off-site public art collection; and taking the lead on audio visual-related installation tasks.
The ideal candidate has completed a degree or diploma in Fine Arts or Visual Arts. They must be collaborative and enthusiastic, with a willingness to learn, a passion for art, experience with audio-visual equipment, and excellent communication skills. Knowledge of contemporary art practices and experience with photography are assets.
If you have a passion for art and the skills of an Assistant Preparator, we look forward to hearing from you!
About the Kamloops Art Gallery
The Kamloops Art Gallery, with its focus on contemporary art, offers inspiring, provocative, and transformative art experiences of national calibre. Located in Secwepemcúlecw, it is the largest art gallery in the Interior of British Columbia and boasts a collection of over 3,000 works of art. With more than 12 exhibitions every year, the Gallery offers diverse, accessible, and affordable experiences, including talks, tours, and studio-based programming for people of all ages and abilities.
The Gallery is located right downtown, where you’ll find unlimited cultural, educational, and sports pursuits available on your doorstep. With more than 2,000 hours of sunshine annually and a unique mix of stunning landscapes, the region offers plentiful opportunities for outdoor recreation; it’s known for quality hiking, mountain biking, skiing, and fishing.
The Kamloops Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and thanks all applicants for their interest in the Gallery. Women, people of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities and people in the LGBTQIA2S+ community, and people from other historically excluded communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Description / Purpose
The Assistant Preparator assists the Head Preparator with the installation of exhibitions to realize the artist’s vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops deep knowledge of Kamloops Art Gallery exhibitions and artists, through research, engagement, and collaborative planning with Program Team members.
- Participates in pre-exhibition planning and construction.
- Conducts research on the equipment and technical requirements for exhibitions, including on current innovations, skills, and knowledge in the contemporary art museum field as it relates to new media and exhibition installation.
- Prepares video files and equipment requirements for exhibitions.
- Provides assistance with all aspects of exhibition de-installation and installation, including painting, construction, installing audio-visual equipment, artwork, technical set-up, and other duties as needed.
- Maintains inventory of all a/v equipment (audio, projectors, media players, etc.)
- Performs maintenance on all a/v equipment (firmware updates, projector lamp replacements, etc.)
- Assists with the maintenance and organization of the packing and collection area.
- Assists in the maintenance of the off-site public art collection.
The Assistant Preparator is responsible for assisting with the realization of the artist’s vision by working closely with the Kamloops Art Gallery Curator and exhibiting artists to plan and implement exhibitions in the Gallery. The Assistant Preparator works professionally with artists, suppliers, contractors, and other organizations.
The Assistant Preparator works closely with all KAG employees, but extensively collaborates with the Head Preparator, Curator, Assistant Curator, Registrar, Education and Public Programs Director, and Gallery Attendants.
The Assistant Preparator reports directly to the Head Preparator.
- Completion of a Degree or Diploma in Fine Arts, Visual Arts or other related field of study.
- Knowledge of the standard tools, practices, and methods used in painting, rough and finish carpentry, cabinet work and the use of different materials used in construction.
- Ability to perform carpentry and electrical tasks.
- Experience working in a contemporary art gallery considered an asset.
- Knowledge of contemporary art practices, particularly new media considered an asset.
- Experience with photography and videography of objects, spaces and people considered an asset.
- Must be detail-oriented, with particular attention to aesthetic details and artistic requirements, and have a strong desire to ensure any finished product meets safety standards.
- Must be physical capable of climbing ladders and scaffolding, lifting up to 50lbs, standing for long periods of time and handling delicate objects.
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to delegate tasks to contractors and employees, as well as take direction.
- Ability to be flexible and manage competing priorities with tight timelines.
- Experience in an office environment, with strong administrative skills.
- Proficient with MS Office programs, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or similar video editing software, Adobe Illustrator, BrightAuthor (media player software).
For a detailed job description please visit kag.bc.ca/employment.
Salary: $20 to $24 an hour, depending on experience. The Gallery offers a competitive compensation package including health benefits and RSP top-up and flexible working arrangements and hours.
Employee status: Permanent employment; 28 hours per week
Application deadline: Wednesday, February 15, 2023
Please include a cover letter with your resume addressed to:
Kamloops Art Gallery
101 – 465 Victoria Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2A9