Assistant Manager, Marketing & Communications, The Power Plant
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America. Since 1987, The Power Plant’s mission has been to create an open culture and community for people to be face-to-face with thought-provoking contemporary art and ideas. We have a culturally diverse workforce and audience whose lives and communities we seek to enrich through encouraging exploration of self and society. More than a gallery, The Power Plant is a community hub that caters to adults, youth, and children through broad and unique programming. To learn more about us, please visit thepowerplant.org.
We are currently seeking a collaborative, creative and dynamic Assistant Manager, Marketing & Communications to manage the implementation of an effective and integrated branding and marketing strategy, including marketing production, digital strategy, content direction, partnership and outreach initiatives, thought leadership, and media relations.
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual and a people-person who enjoys connecting with teammates, press and influencers, and with potential partners for creative collaborations. Meticulously organized, this individual can easily manage a small team to tackle multiple projects and competing timelines while also efficiently and effectively completing their own individual assignments. A positive, curious, energetic disposition is coupled with a good track record in project management, and as importantly, strong story telling capabilities and attentive editing to devise compelling marketing copy that gets to the heart of a strong, newsworthy story!
Position Title: Assistant Manager, Marketing & Communications
Reporting to: Head of Communications, Marketing & Visitor Experience
Type of Employment: Full time, 35-hour work week.
Compensation: $52,000 to $55,000 per annum, plus a comprehensive benefits package
- Manage and implement strategies for branding and promoting The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery as a public gallery and attraction across all marketing channels.
- Devise data-driven marketing campaigns to reach out to new, diverse audiences.
- Roll out communications for all of The Power Plant’s portfolio of activities including the gallery’s exhibitions and events, fundraising, outreach programs and public programs by engaging with relevant stakeholders.
- Lead press outreach and monitoring (including media pitching and supporting incoming requests, updating event listings, collecting editorial calendars, compiling press clippings into summary reports as needed).
- Manage PR agency, vendors and external marketing partners to ensure that they meet deadlines and hit targets.
- Research and propose integrated marketing and communications strategies and best practices for the visual arts community and arts and culture sector; provide the Head of Communications, Marketing & Visitor Experience with updated reports to maximize the gallery’s exposure.
- Devise and edit all documents to ensure they comply with The Power Plant’s brand tone and guidelines and that all interactions forward The Power Plant’s mission and mandate.
- Alongside the Creative Services Coordinator, review and ensure that the production schedule is on track so that all print materials (including liaising with relevant departments, photographers, designers and printers, compiling content, formatting, proofreading and giving feedback) meet deadlines.
- Alongside the Digital Content Coordinator, manage and review digital strategies and execution of a digital-first marketing campaign to ensure that there is organic growth across all online and social media platforms, and that paid media is meeting set KPIs.
- Responsible for the project management and production of the Annual Report, collecting, analyzing, archiving and reporting on results of specific marketing efforts, and incorporating data from numerous departments and external sources.
- Assist with administrative duties and event support as needed.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience and a success track record in communications, marketing, public relations or journalism.
- Strong storytelling, editing and copywriting skills.
- Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines with composure and adaptability.
- Experience in managing production schedules and third-party vendors to ensure that printed and digital materials are high quality and delivered on time.
- Experience in managing a small team of digital and creative services professional, as well as working across complex organizations with multiple stakeholders.
- A people-person who enjoys working collaboratively and productively with diverse personalities.
- A strong sense of curiosity that fosters staying on the pulse of current trends and industry best practices.
- A keen interest in audience development and community building in the cultural sector.
- Commitment to championing diversity and inclusion across all communications and marketing efforts and initiatives at The Power Plant
- Experience with Adobe Software is advantageous.
- Familiarity with the media landscape and excellent media relationship-building skills is desirable. Existing press contacts is a bonus.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization is required and will form a condition of employment.
HOW TO APPLY:
The Power Plant is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter addressed to Beverly Cheng, Head of Communications, Marketing & Visitor Experience, indicating why you wish to join The Power Plant and how you meet the essential criteria of this position.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than July 13, 2023. Please quote TPP Assistant Manager, Communications & Marketing in the subject line of your application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery
231 Queens Quay West
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2G8 Canada