Adjunct Faculty in Photography, Redeemer University
Adjunct Faculty in Photography
Redeemer University, in Ancaster, Ontario, invites applications for an adjunct instructor in Digital Photography (Art) beginning September 2023. This is a 3-credit course currently scheduled for Thursday mornings from 9:30 am – 12:20 pm.
- Review of applications will begin May 12, 2023;
- Applications will be accepted and evaluated until the position is filled.
- The course starts in September 2023.
For 40 years, Redeemer University has prepared the next generation of Christian leaders. Redeemer is committed to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Redeemer has a robust program in visual art, a large gallery space with 3 professional exhibitions per year, and is planning to expand its offerings in digital design.
Art Program: www.redeemer.ca/programs/art/
Redeemer Gallery: www.redeemer.ca/academics/art-gallery/
ART-214: Digital Photography
This course is an introduction to the technical and aesthetic properties of digital photography with an emphasis on the use of a digital SLR camera as a tool for image making. Conceptual thinking, historical understanding, and contemporary practices shape the delivery of this course. Students will learn the technical aspects of photography as well as how to use the camera as a medium for art, expression, and creative problem solving. Students will learn to use their digital camera in full manual mode and will apply various editing techniques in Photoshop. This class will include hands-on studio and field location shoots as it introduces students to a new way of viewing God’s world, through the lens of a camera.
Skills and Attributes
Redeemer University invites applications for an adjunct instructor in the Art program for the fall term 2023. The Candidate:
- must be aligned with and passionate about Redeemer’s Christian mission of integrating faith in teaching.
- should possess a relevant Master’s degree or a PhD.
- should understand photography as an expressive and conceptual medium with its own history, languages, and contemporary practices.
- should have an active practice in art photography, coupled with professional achievements such as exhibitions, publications, commissions, grants, or residencies.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated record (or show potential) of excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- As Redeemer looks to expand its offerings in digital design, expertise in that area would also be an advantage.
- All duties associated with teaching this course. Such duties are guided by approved course-level learning outcomes.
- Scheduled office hours with students.
- Non-classroom time made up of preparation of lectures, student consultation, marking or grading, including grade appeals and cases of academic dishonesty.
The Application Process
Applicants should submit:
- a letter of application
- curriculum vitae
- 10 artwork images, as jpg files
- artist statement
- evidence of teaching quality
- a short statement describing their own Christian faith commitment and how it relates to Redeemer’s mission and to their teaching and perspective on the discipline
- the names of two individuals who have agreed to provide letters of reference should the applicant advance to a later stage of the process.
Review of applications will begin May 12, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Redeemer University offers equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be considered first for this position.
Direct applications to: Dr. Kyle Spyksma, Interim Vice President, Academic Submit applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please quote position title in subject line). Expiry date: Posted until filled (applications will be reviewed upon submission, so please apply ASAP). Anticipated start date: September 2023
For questions about the Art Program, contact Professor Phil Irish: email@example.com
777 Garner Rd E
Ancaster ON L9K 1J4