2021 Call for Membership Applications at the Ontario Society of Artists
The Ontario Society of Artists has opened its 2021 Call for Applications to Membership.
This call is open to all professional artists currently living in Ontario. Professional is a term that is open to interpretation but, as a guide, we can tell you that we have found that most successful applicants have a least five years of working and showing in a variety of settings.
Applications will be evaluated through a process which includes adjudication by a committee of experienced volunteers from our membership and then a vote by the whole OSA membership.
In order to exclude the possibility of bias or racism, artists’ identities are no longer made available during the vote. The vote is based solely on the artwork. The adjudication committee serves to verify that applicants meet the basic requirements of membership. These requirements are: residency in Ontario, evidence of work as an arts professional and a significant level of achievement in the seven criteria areas (stated below). The identity of the artist has NO bearing on the application other than it must be truthful.
We accept artists working in a wide variety of visual arts disciplines including oil, acrylic, charcoal, pencil, pastel, mixed media, fibre arts, photography, digital, sculpture, video and moving images, installation/performance collage, assemblage, and other.
- Application Deadline: October 31, 2020
- Application Fee: $45.00
- Method of Payment: PayPal on the entry form (Tip: with this method, you can pay by credit card as well).
- Notification: by December 18, 2020
- Notification method: Accepted applicants will be notified by email and invited to join the OSA.
- Annual Membership fees for successful applicants: $125.00, due January 1, 2021.
- The decision of the New Members Selection Committee and the OSA membership is final.
- Fulfillment of Intent
- Inherent Meaning
- Artistry in composition and design
- Excellence and Skill in the chosen medium(s)
- Consistency in subject matter, style and medium
- Professionalism, including the presentation of the application itself.
All applicants are expected to be able to navigate basic digital processes including creating and uploading correctly sized photographs of their work and properly labelling and submitting work according to the instructions.
For more information about the OSA, please visit: