Request for Proposals: Public Artwork for CoMo Condos, Stoney Creek
Homes By DeSantis (CoMo Condos Site)
Request for Proposal
Public Art Competition
CLOSING (STAGE 1): March 30th 2020 11:00 PM EST
PUBLIC ART RFP
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. STATEMENT OF NEED:
1.1 Homes By DeSantis is seeking proposals for the creation and installation of a public art sculpture at their new Condominium Development located in the City of Stoney Creek, Ontario.
1.2 This is an exterior commission for a permanent public sculpture that will be located in front of the North/East Entrance facing the North Service Rd.
1.3 The competition is open to emerging and professional artists, designers or teams.
1.4 That the one (1) sculpture captures the feeling of the building and surrounding lakefront community.
2. BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
2.1 Homes By DeSantis
Over the past five decades Homes by DeSantis, has built thousands of family homes in the Hamilton, Halton and Niagara regions. Today, son Gabriel DeSantis has continued to uphold the traditions of old world craftsmanship and new world thinking that to this day are the hallmarks of Homes by DeSantis. They have built thousands of detached, semi-detached, townhomes and condominium developments during their over 60 years in business.
2.2 Description of site Facilities: CoMo
The CoMo Condo’s Development will include a 6-Storey Mid Rise building consisting of 140 condominiums. It will be built on a site next to the QEW in Stoney Creek off of the Fruitland Exit, steps away from Lake Ontario. It is a very modern building design utilizing a combination of stucco, brick and wood. It has been designed to emulate the Coastal Modern vibe that is popular today. The colour scheme can be determined by the artist but should refer to the artwork used in CoMo’s Marketing Campaign. Renderings of the proposed building have been included as reference see Figure A. Please note the sculpture in the image is just a place holder and should not be considered a directive.
2.3 Description of site Landscape
The platform will be in located in front of the North/East Entrance facing the North Service Rd on the corner. People will be able to touch and interact with the statue, it will be exposed to all elements. Como Condos has an on-site dog park allowing for many pets to share the space.
Full details regarding site landscape and statue location can be seen in the attached plan at Figure D
2.4 Other Facilities in Proximity to the Area:
CoMo Condo’s is located only minutes away from the Lake Lookout down Fruitland Rd. Access to the QEW is also minutes away as well as the Confederation Park Walkway, which is a shared path for walkers, runners, bikers and rollerbladers.
3. PUBLIC ART SPECIFICATIONS:
Proponent(s) are encouraged to experiment with different themes. Designs must be durable, vandal proof (as possible), technically feasible, and weather-resistant. Special considerations must be given with respect to maintenance, security, and safety issues.
3.1 Design Requirements
- The integration of the piece into the aesthetics of the surrounding environment (ie its compatibility with the design and scale of the condo building)
- The design may be representational or abstract.
- The materials must be permanent and compatible with the materials of the CoMo Condo: stone (granite), metal, glass etc.. There is to be NO inclusion of ANY water feature whatsoever.
- Thought should be given regarding the effect of the wind and other elements specific to the lakeshore location. Further information here: https://homesbydesantis.com/como-rfp/
4. TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
4.1 The Process
This is a two-stage competition. A jury will review and select finalists from among the submissions received from all proponents. The jury will make a final selection based on the maquettes that are received from the finalists.
4.2 Submission Requirements:
Stage One- All Proponents
- The proponent(s)s contact information and biographical information, highlighting comparable projects.
- 5-8 photographs labelled with the name, title, dimensions of the comparable work, and the orientation of the image.
- A detailed description of the concept of the work (including materials/scale/ dimensions etc.)
- A detailed sketch of the proponent(s)’s design concept for the sculpture
- The names and contact information of two references.
- The projected time frame for the completion of the work.
- An estimated general budget for the project, outlining the proponent(s)’s commission fees.
- A declaration of any special considerations with respect to the submission(s)
4.3 Stage Two-Finalists Only: https://homesbydesantis.com/como-rfp/
4.4 Selection Criteria
A jury composed of city officials and experts in the visual arts and representatives from Homes By DeSantis will be assembled to review proposals on the basis of:
- Quality and degree of interaction with the community
- Demonstrated experience
- Creativity of approach
- Accessibility to the general public
- Relevance to the site
- Consideration of the characteristics of the community
- The project’s lasting impact in the community
- Maintenance and safety considerations.
- The feasibility of the project.
5.1 The budget for the public art component of CoMo l Condo is $35,000.00, and shall be inclusive of all costs including, but not limited to, the cost of materials, fabrication, delivery, installation, insurance, taxes, and artist’s commission fee.
6. SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS:
6.1 All submissions must be received in a sealed envelope clearly showing the RFP’s Name, Number, Closing Date and the Company / Firm / Proponent’s name on the front of the envelope and returned to:
HOMES BY DESANTIS
461 Green Road
Stoney Creek, ON
7. PROJECT TIMELINE:
Deadline for Stage 1 Materials: All information must be received by Homes By DeSantis by March 30th 2020
Finalists Announced April 30th 2020
April 30th – May 29th 2020 Finalists to prepare the Stage 2 requirements
June 1st 2020 Jury meets to review finalist submissions and make selection.
June 15th 2020 Selected artist notified and contracted to produce and install art.
Deadline for final art piece to be installed, to be dated.