Registration Assistant, Ryerson Image Centre
Registration Assistant, Ryerson Image Centre, Toronto, Ontario
- Temporary, part time: 24 hours per week; hourly rate $21.00–$24.00 (based on experience)
- 1 year term with the possibility of renewal
- Start Date: preferably August, 2019
- Reports to Registrar and Collections Officer, Ryerson Image Centre
- The position would be of benefit to a recent graduate anticipating a career in the collection management field.
Description of Work:
The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of creative professionals and will work directly with the RIC’s Registrar and Collections Officer. The primary responsibility will be to assist with the care and maintenance of the RIC’s permanent collection material and records. Daily tasks will include a range of activities including cataloguing, arranging and describing existing and recently acquired collection material, condition reporting, rights/licensing maintenance, re-housing, and database entry and collection records management (i.e. loan agreements, donation agreements, entry/dispatch receipts, conservation records, pest management records, insurance certificates and facility reports). The Registration Assistant may also assist with research requests in the Peter Higdon Research Centre and exhibition registration as necessary (i.e. shipping logistics). As a member of the RIC team, the Registration Assistant will participate in regular RIC staff meetings to report on project status, and may complete other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a graduate (MA preferred) from a collections management or related museum studies program and possess:
- Experience handling and cataloging photographs or experience working in a cultural institution or archive setting handling works on paper.
- Experience with standard registration practices including processing collection material, general collections management record keeping, shipping and insurance logistics.
- Basic knowledge of proper handling, housing and storage of modern and historical photographic works.
- An understanding of, and ability to apply, standards of archiving, cataloguing and collections care.
- Familiarity with database programs. Prior experience with MIMSY and Excel will be viewed as an asset.
- Comprehensive computer skills including familiarity with various operating platforms (i.e MAC and PC) and programs such as Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- The ability to work both independently and within a team setting.
- A focused, detail-oriented approach to their work.
Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Applications should be emailed to Chantal Wilson, Registrar at Ryerson Image Centre, Ryerson University, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is July 11, 2019 (4:30 pm).
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
RYERSON IMAGE CENTRE
33 Gould Street
Toronto, ON M5B 2K3