Gallery 101: Employment Opportunity / Job Call
Administrator – Gallery 101
Position Type: Permanent/Full Time – (3 month probation period)
Starting: June 3, 2019
Application Deadline: May 17, 2019
Job Region: ON – Ottawa Area
Location(s): Ottawa Centretown
Years Experience: 2-5
Rate of Pay: 35 hours per week at $18-$20/hour, (based on experience)
Gallery 101 is seeking a well-organized individual with excellent communications skills and experience in office filing, IT and budgeting who is able to work in a fast-paced, team- oriented environment as our full-time, permanent Gallery Administrator.
Located in Ottawa, Ontario, Gallery 101 is a Non-profit, Artist-Run Centre with charitable status dedicated to the professional presentation and circulation of visual and media arts. Each year, we present a stimulating array of solo and group exhibitions of Canadian and international contemporary artists working in all mediums. We also offer services and professional development opportunities to artists, curators, writers and critics. Commitment to artists and their work is our first priority.
Gallery 101 has a reputation for its Indigenous and culturally diverse programming, with emphasis on presenting the diversity within First Nations, Métis, and Inuit artistic voices, which has raised our public image as an accessible and inclusive contemporary art space.
- The Administrator works with and reports to the Director/Curator;
- Provide the Director/Curator (D/C) with day-to-day administrative support;
- Assist the D/C with grants: writing, budget development and uploading files into granting agency portals;
- Communicate enthusiastically to visitors on the relevance of the exhibition and gallery in general;
- Actively rotate through day-to-day front of house operations, anticipating and responding to visitors’ needs;
- Provide a helpful and knowledgeable first point of contact, in person, over the phone, by email or social media responding to a wide variety of queries and requests;
- Assist with opening and closing of the gallery, as well as daily operations;
- Ensure cleanliness of work area, galleries, facilities and public spaces;
- Logistics and facilitation of approximately four (4) exhibitions and twenty (20) special events per year;
- Assist in promotion and revenue generation for fundraising initiatives;
- Work with the gallery bookkeeper; assist with preparation of documents for the Auditor;
- Update and maintenance of website (supported by Gallery 101’s part-time web developer);
- Have total responsibility for office IT, membership data emails, and preparing promotional publishing information provided by the Director/Curator;
- Responsible for online publishing of our programming on our website, by email and on social media;
- Perform and undertake any other related duties with a flexible attitude
- Knowledge of Artist-Run Centres (ARCs) and contemporary Canadian art;
- Ability to relate to many different/diverse people, when English may not be their first language;
- Minimum experience of 2-5 years in general office and IT office management;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Enjoys meeting, working and conversing with people of all ages, races and backgrounds;
- Proven computer skills in Database, Word-processing software, Excel, Mailchimp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram;
- Ability to move/lift boxes or equipment as required;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Strongly self-motivated; independent thinker/team-worker;
- The hours of work are 10 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday, and/or Tuesday to Saturday during the run of an exhibition. The job does require the employee work extra hours from time to time (compensated with time in lieu).
G101 welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, class, and diversity of ability.
(Please note that G101 uses the term Indigenous to refer to First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples). G101 acknowledges the Elders past and present, and the traditional custodians of this land – unceded and unsurrendered Anishnaabe-Aki – upon which our gallery sits.
Gallery 101 offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Gallery 101, regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require any accommodations.
Gallery 101 thanks all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Gallery 101 is an equal opportunity employer.
Full job description available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com
Applications done in person won’t be accepted.
280 Catherine Street
Ottawa, ON, K1R 5T3
Gallery 101 is an accessible venue
Gallery 101 gratefully acknowledges, the City of Ottawa, the Ontario Arts Council and the Canada Council for the Arts. Gallery 101 thanks our members, volunteers and supporters. G101 honours and respects the original people of the territory we currently occupy: unceded and unsurrendered Anishnaabe-Aki who have been living and working on this land since time immemorial.