Finance Manager, The Power Plant at Harbourfront Centre
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America and in the world. Over the past 34 years, its reputation for presenting cutting edge exhibitions, superior catalogues and editions, and challenging special events, has remained unparalleled. Presenting contemporary art by living artists of local, national, and international stature, The Power Plant’s mission is to present and disseminate the best contemporary art in all and any media within Harbourfront Centre and offsite through partnerships in Toronto, Canada and abroad. We are currently looking to bring on board a savvy and experienced Finance Manager whose strong analytical and critical thinking skills are coupled with excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
Position Title: Finance Manager
Reporting to: Director, The Power Plant
Type of Employment: Full Time
Summary of Role & Responsibilities:
The Finance Manager has sole responsibility for the management and delivery of key financial services, budgeting and reporting at the gallery. This role will provide primary support in the financial preparation, the planning, and the development of the annual budget along with associated budget tracking and continuous forecasting, and will ensure that the gallery’s Director and the Board have clear, accurate and timely information on the operating and financial performance of The Power Plant. The Finance Manager also works with members of the Development team, providing support, counsel and major assistance with grant applications and interim and final grant reports. This role requires the incumbent to be comfortable collaborating and dealing with all levels of management in a professional, efficient, and courteous manner.
Responsibilities include delivery of key financial support services – bank deposits, cheque requisitions, wire transfers, payables and receivables, financial reporting, and board support. In concert with the Director, this position will also produce and deliver monthly financial statements, as well as support budget development for the institution in conjunction with all departments’ ongoing projects. This role will liaise and be the main contact for Harbourfront Centre staff in Finance department and Administration, collaborating with Harbourfront Centre’s Finance team to support and ensure compliance with integrated key financial processes, reporting and audits. Additionally, the Finance Manager will attend and provide staff support for the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of The Power Plant.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance Accounting or Business.
- A minimum of 5 years’ demonstrated experience in a progressive Financial Management role, including experience in an FP&A capacity.
- Mastery of the completer accounting cycle.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated experience in data management, mining & modeling.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel; Financial Modeling, V Lookups, and Pivot tables.
- Ability to translate strategic insights, initiatives, and projects into a financial forecast.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office suite of products – Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong organization, detail-oriented and time management skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and sound professional judgment and integrity.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills to exchange information with management regarding financial issues and ability to present accurate information to senior leaders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with strong quantitative analysis skills and the demonstrated ability to convey financial, technical accounting and budgeting issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Creativity, solid judgement, critical thinking, and proven problem-solving skills.
- CGA designation is an asset.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit industry environment is preferred.
- Experience working within public grant reporting environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of CADAC (Canadian Arts Data / Données sur les arts au Canada)
- Prior experience communicating and working with Board of Directors within the non-for-profit sector.
- Familiarity or working knowledge of Tessitura software or other fundraising and donor management software is an asset.
- Passion for The Power Plant’s mandate, vision and mission. Interest in visual arts or contemporary art.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Completion of tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
- Delivery of accurate information to the Harbourfront Centre Finance Department.
- Delivery of accurate budget information to the Director and other staff of The Power Plant, as well as to the Board Finance Committee members.
How to Apply:
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than March 10,2021. Please quote Finance Manager in the subject line of your application.
At The Power Plant and at Harbourfront Centre we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applicants from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.