Executive Director, Artcite Inc.
Job Title: Executive Director
Position Type: Full-time contract, 3 years, 35 hrs/week (occasional evening and weekends as required)
Reports to: Board of Directors
Salary: $50,000.00 (plus health and dental)
Application Closing Date: 10 November, 2020
Anticipated Start Date: January 2021 (flexible)
Artcite Inc. is a non-profit, artist-run centre with a 38 year history of interdisciplinary, contemporary art presentation in the Windsor, Essex County and Detroit area. The Board of Directors would like to invite applications for the role of Executive Director as detailed below:
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
In accordance with the policies set by the Board of Directors and voting artist members of Artcite, the Executive Director:
- Will help establish programs and events to engage the community, including, for example, workshops, lectures, film screenings, and literary and performance events
- Is responsible for the day-to-day direction and management of Artcite and its staff
- Acts, in consultation with the Board of Directors, as spokesperson for the gallery
- Attends to all office correspondence and shares in general office work
- Writes and oversees the preparation of grant applications
- Researches and develops new government grant and corporate funding opportunities
- Develops annual operating budgets in conjunction with the Programming Coordinator and the Board of Directors
- Forecasts, manages and balances the budget and maintains cash flow in collaboration with the Board Treasurer.
- Manages audits for granting bodies and the government and the annual general membership meeting in November and in collaboration with the Board Treasurer.
- Maintains the accounts and records of the organisation, prepares quarterly financial statements in collaboration with the Board Treasurer and Board Secretary.
- Manages staff and intern payroll and benefits
- Coordinates the hiring and supervision of all staff.
- Coordinates volunteers with the Board Membership chair.
- Sits on all committees relative to the position and attends all relevant meetings or designates an alternate and is an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors
- Participates in the establishment and implementation of policies and Artcite’s ongoing mandate, with emphasis on the BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities.
- Prepares an Annual Report for presentation to the Annual General Assembly
- Implements and assists with ongoing and new fundraising initiatives and events.
- Manage the organization’s social media accounts with regular updates and postings.
The staff and Board of Directors of Artcite Inc. are jointly responsible for:
- Recruiting new members and helping to coordinate / manage volunteers
- Caring for gallery assets including office equipment, gallery equipment and tools, audio / visual equipment and the organization’s archive.
- General maintenance of the gallery and offices
- Raising awareness about and encouraging interest in the affairs of the gallery
Successful candidates should demonstrate ability in the following areas:
- A degree in visual arts, curating, museum studies, art history (with a concentration in contemporary art) or equivalent experience and a thorough knowledge and understanding of contemporary art practices and the guiding principles of Canadian artist-run culture
- Experience with programming or working in a gallery or artist-run centre
- Experience facilitating events and coordinating with artists
Communication, Public Relations and Grant Writing
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to communicate and work effectively with the public and community stakeholders.
- Strong oral and writing skills and experience with new media technologies. The Executive Director is one of the first points of contact between Artcite, artists and the public, and must have the ability to represent the gallery in public, to granting bodies and community stakeholders.
- The ideal candidate will have proven grant-writing abilities, which includes demonstrated success in grant writing for corporate funding and various levels of government.
General, Administrative and Interpersonal
- The successful candidate will be self-motivated, possess good organizational skills, and work in a safe and efficient manner.
- The successful candidate will possess a demonstrated involvement or affiliation in a local arts community.
- Knowledge and experience of Windsor/Essex and surrounding regional community is a strong asset
- Good time management skills, and the ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to work effectively with staff and interns including delegating work assignments with timelines and deadlines.
- An excellent team worker and leader.
- Demonstrated ability, with references if requested, to work in a friendly and collaborative manner in a busy, small-office environment (or similar)
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and managing volunteers an asset
- Proficiency in the French language (both oral and written) an asset
- Proficiency in various computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, web management and social media sites; knowledge of Mac-based platforms preferred
Deadline for applications is NOVEMBER 10, 2020.
Please email a single PDF file to: email@example.com with the subject line “Executive Director”, and your first and last name.
Your application should include:
- A one-page letter of interest
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- 2 samples of writing (e.g. criticism, grant or creative writing, journal articles, or other forms of professional writing).
No phone calls please. Any inquiries can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- This position is a 3-year contract with a 3-month probationary period
- Prospective applicants may be required to take a written and technical competency test, and will be required to provide a police check, the cost of which will be refunded if the applicant is hired for the position.
Artcite Inc. is a semi-accessible, multi-level facility located in downtown Windsor, Ontario. Artcite is committed to employment equity by maintaining an inclusive culture and building a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.