Employment Opportunity at SPAO: Operations Manager
Job Title: Operations Manager
Application Deadline: January 3rd, 2022, 11:59 PM EST (or as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified)
Compensation: $40,000 – $45,000 per year (commensurate with experience)
35-40 hours a week
Term: 1 year contract with the potential for permanent full-time employment
Start Date: Immediately
For more information about this position, please visit spao.ca/careers.
Are you a passionate non-profit leader with a desire to make a positive impact in the Canadian arts community? Are you seeking an opportunity to bring your expertise to an established local arts organization and help it grow? Are you conscientious about the needs of the Canadian arts community, and have a desire to develop meaningful and relevant programs representative of the multicultural diversity of Canada, as well as sharing our unique Canadian voice beyond our borders? If so, SPAO is looking for you!
SPAO is an independent, charitable, not-for-profit Photographic Arts Centre and registered private College. SPAO is home to the only two-year photographic arts diploma in Canada, numerous part-time classes, a unique international artist residency and the only critical and independent gallery in the region dedicated to lens-based art.
In our full-time College Diploma Program and our part-time studies stream, SPAO draws on traditional and contemporary photographic technologies and ideas. We place special emphasis on advancing individual style, on conceptual development, and on the acquisition of knowledge about photographic theory and history.
SPAO’S MISSION: SPAO cultivates an inclusive community of distinct artistic vision, critical dialogue and technical expertise in the photographic arts through exhibition, partnerships and education.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Operations Manager is responsible for operational logistics at SPAO, ensuring compliance with SPAO policies, government and regulators.
A successful candidate’s tasks would include:
- Oversee Human Resources, scheduling and staffing
- Financial Management, including bookkeeping
- General Administrative duties, including file management and government and regulatory compliance
A successful candidate’s character would include:
- Positive team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized with the ability to multitask
- Strong attention to detail
- Quick learner
- Creatively pragmatic
- Goal oriented
Human Resources, Financial Management, Operational Logistics
The Operations Manager is responsible for the management of SPAO’s Human Resources, Bookkeeping and general Operational Logistics. As a charitable not-for-profit Arts Centre and Private College, the Operations Manager must facilitate the proper delivery of several different programs, ensuring government and regulatory compliance, staffing is in place and the operating budget is met.
While the Operations Manager is required to possess applicable skills and experience related to a working environment such as a school or not-for-profit, it should be understood that personality and character will be equally key to an incumbent’s success. An ideal candidate possesses the necessary passion and adaptability to manage a complex series of programs, while contributing to the overall strategic plan and vision for SPAO.
- This is an in-person position
- Minimum 2 years working in a school, office, not-for-profit or arts administrative environment
- Degree or diploma in HR, finance, arts administration, education, and/or equivalent
- Experience using office computer software such as the Google Suite, Excel/Word or equivalent
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple projects with fixed deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Vulnerable Sector Check will be required to finalize employment
- Applicants must be legally allowed to work in Canada
*ASSETS (Not Requirements)
- Bookkeeping training or experience
- Experience managing and or supervising employees and contractors
- General knowledge of photography, contemporary art and/or fine arts training
- General knowledge of the granting bodies, practices of related government agencies, charitable foundations and corporations
- Experience in dispute resolution/de-escalation
- Experience in a charitable or non-profit environment (working with staff, board and clients in a variety of capacities)
- Bilingual in both official languages (oral and written)
HOW TO APPLY
Please review the job description in detail and send your application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your application email Subject Line reads: “Attn: Executive Director – Operations Manager Application – FIRST NAME / LAST NAME”
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter
- Minimum of two professional references all merged into one PDF document and submitted electronically via email.
Do not wait to submit your application, we are looking to fill this position ASAP. Final deadline to apply is *January 3rd, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST. (*OR – as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified)
For more information about SPAO, visit spao.ca
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
77 Pamilla Street