Curator, Latcham Art Centre
Curator – Latcham Art Centre
Closing Date: Until position is filled
Latcham Art Centre is seeking a creative, motivated and flexible team member to bring their experience and enthusiasm to the position of Curator. This position will link the gallery exhibitions and contemporary artists to the community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Curator will be responsible for the following:
- Executing planned exhibitions for 2021 and planning 2022 exhibition schedule including research, liaising with artists, installation, curatorial writing, documentation, attending opening receptions, etc.
- Connecting the audience with the exhibitions through gallery reception including coordination of volunteers, summer students and interns
- Connecting exhibitions with the gallery audience through exhibition-related programs like talks and tours including in-person and virtual
- Marketing exhibitions including e-invitations, press releases, social media, etc. to expand audience and raise the profile of exhibiting artists
- Handling exhibition related reports, correspondence, grant applications, communicating with exhibition related sponsors
- Being responsible for gallery exhibition space regarding facility needs
- Acting as an ambassador for the art centre with artists, galleries, community, stakeholders, funders
- Assisting with several community and fundraising events as part of the Latcham Art Centre team
- Other duties as determined by the Gallery Director
The ideal candidate will offer the following skills and qualifications:
- Fine Arts or Art History degree and/or equivalent experience
- A minimum of two years curatorial experience in a contemporary art setting
- Understanding of the provincial arts community
- Experience and interest in linking the gallery and exhibiting artists to visitors and the community
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work within the team
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, Adobe Creative Suite and database knowledge.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive to various locations
- The ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings
If you are a community-oriented team player, we want to hear from you! This is an opportunity to share your skills and expertise and contribute significantly to the success of a public art gallery. You will seek out relationships with the arts community and connect the Gallery and the community through the Gallery’s exhibition program. You will be part of an experienced, enthusiastic and committed staff and volunteer team.
Latcham Art Centre is a public art gallery featuring exhibitions of contemporary art, arts education programs for all ages, artist talks, and special events and is located in Stouffville, Ontario, a growing community of 46,000 people situated north of Toronto.
This is a 12-month contract with the possibility of renewal that pays $25 per hour (plus EI, CPP, 4% vacation pay and stat holidays) for approximately 30 hours per week.
Please send resume and cover letter outlining curatorial experience in ONE document to firstname.lastname@example.org and put YOUR first and last names in the document title. Please put CURATOR in the email subject line.
Interviews will be held once sufficient applications have been received and will continue until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We seek candidates who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas at Latcham Art Centre. We support and encourage diversity and equity, and we are committed to making staff positions accessible and welcoming to all potential team members, regardless of ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender or identity.
Latcham Art Centre
2 Park Drive, Stouffville ON L4A 4K1