Call for Submissions: Connextions Window Murals, Town of Oakville
Call for Artwork:
Town of Oakville, Connextions – Window Murals
Deadline: June 1, 2022 11:59 p.m. EST
Venue: Community Centres, Town of Oakville
Artist Fee: $800 each (includes HST)
The Town of Oakville invites professional artists to submit designs to be digitally reproduced as window murals at seven community centres in Oakville. The final artwork will be a digital mural to be printed onto vinyl media that will cover large windows. The selected proposals will engage the local community and reflect on the community centre.
The group exhibition will occur from September to December 2022 and will coincide with Culture Days, a national celebration of arts and culture. Artwork to draw inspiration from words important to Culture Days 2022: celebration, connection, participation, inclusivity, creativity, self-expression, collaboration, and collective care.
Artists may create work specifically for this call or may reformat existing work. The work can be created in any medium but must be provided as high-resolution digital files suitable for large format printing. The town will be responsible for the fabrication and installation of the vinyl media. This call is open to professional artists living within the Greater Toronto Area community. We encourage artists that are Indigenous, Black, people of colour, women, 2SLGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and members of other marginalized communities to apply. Artists with demonstrated connections to Oakville will be given priority.
Proposals will be assessed based on artistic merit, relevance of the proposed artwork to a community centre and demonstrated capacity to complete the project.
The commissioned artists will receive $800 (includes HST) each Canadian Dollars. Fabrication and installation costs are covered by the town and are not included in this proposal.
Designs may be identified as site specific, or as suitable for any location. There is no guarantee that an artist will be assigned their requested location. The town reserves the right to assign locations at its discretion. The following Community Centre locations will have window murals:
- Glen Abbey, 1415 Third Line
- Iroquois Ridge, 1051 Glenashton Drive
- Oakville Trafalgar, 325 Reynolds Street
- Queen Elizabeth Park, 2302 Bridge Road
- River Oaks, 2400 Sixth Line
- Sixteen Mile Sports Complex, 2070 Neyagawa Boulevard
- Trafalgar Park, 133 Rebecca Street
- Submission Deadline: June 1, 2022 11:59 p.m. EST
- Artist Notification: June 15, 2022
- Final design files due: July 15, 2022
- Vinyl fabrication and installation: August 2022
- Installation Project Completion and Public Launch: September, 2022
- Exhibition on display: September to December 2022
- Application form
- Artist curriculum vitae (maximum 3 pages)
- Proposal. A written description which should include information connecting to Culture Days 2022 inspirational words, design content, colour palette, and an indication if the design is for one specific location or may be used in any of the locations (1 page maximum).
- Artist website or maximum of 5 images of artwork related to this project, and/or proposed artwork design.
Submissions to be emailed as one PDF to: email@example.com and include in the subject line: Artist_Name_Connextions. Submissions must not exceed 10 MB total size.
Interested artists are encouraged to read the full Call to Artists.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit oakville.ca for information about arts and culture in Oakville.