Call for Submissions – 2021 Themed Commission: Archival Affections
2021 Themed Commission: Archival Affections
Presented by Trinity Square Video and supported by EQ Bank
Deadline: May 10, 2021
“Every historian of the multitude, the dispossessed, the subaltern, and the enslaved is forced to grapple with the power and authority of the archive and the limits it sets on what can be known, whose perspective matters, and who is endowed with the gravity and authority of historical actor.”
– Wayward Lives Beautiful Experiments, Saidiya Hartman
Trinity Square Video is seeking submissions for our annual Themed Commission: a residency program inviting artists, designers, filmmakers and other creatives to produce or workshop new projects in a collaborative environment of like-minded artists. Titled Archival Affections, this year’s theme invites project proposals that critically look at one’s relationship to archives; both non-fiction and fictional materials that account for public, private, and cultural memory.
We encourage project proposals that address the following topics and questions:
- Data visualization and archiving as art/design practice
- Archives as sites of memory production
- The effects of technology and the internet on archival practice / mass dissemination of information
- Colonial legacies, structural racism, and discrimination in the production of archives, data and statistics
- Imagining and reclaiming archives as acts of resistance and survivance
- The use of fiction to meaningfully resurrect archives
- Who are the gatekeepers / what are the obstacles preventing engagement with archival material?
- How can thoughtful design communication practices promote accessibility and equity in archives?
Projects may take the form of (but are not limited to):
- Multimedia or interactive installation
- Film, video-essay, presentation/lecture, speaker series
- 2D images or 3D renderings
- Artist-led or community-specific workshops
- Live or documented performance
- Interventions in public spaces
- Online publication, website, video game or social media platform
This year’s Themed Commission is curated by Karina Iskandarsjah. Due to COVID restrictions, this residency program will take place remotely and online.
Selected artists will be given access to Trinity Square Video’s production and post-production equipment and facilities throughout the residency (June-August 2021). Participating artists are expected to participate in group critiques and planning sessions, and will be expected to complete their project (or a draft of their project) in time for a group online exhibition in August 2021.
Submissions will be reviewed by the Trinity Square Video Programming Committees who will make selections based on the proposed project’s innovation, feasibility, aesthetic potential, and conceptual merits.
Selected artists receive:
- Access to the Trinity Square Video Media Lab throughout the duration of the residency
- $500 cash in production support
- $1000 credit in production equipment rentals for the creation of their projects
- Trinity Square Video production membership or renewal
- Participation in a group exhibition with CARFAC fees (August, 2021)
Trinity Square Video is a space to re-imagine media arts. Our activities are guided by a goal to increase our members’ and audiences’ understanding and imagination of what media arts practices can be. Trinity Square strives to create supportive environments, encouraging artistic and curatorial experimentation that challenge medium specificity through education, production and presentation supports.
Trinity Square Video’s Themed Commission program is generously supported by the EQ Bank
Trinity Square Video
401 Richmond Street West, suite 121
Toronto ON M5V 3A8