Call for Local Artists: Daniels DuEast and Daniels DuEast Boutique, Toronto
Call for Submissions (Toronto – Regent Park and Downtown East)
Local Art for New Residential Condominium Building at Daniels DuEast and Daniels DuEast Boutique
Daniels HR Corporation, on behalf of The Daniels Corporation, invites artists from the Toronto Regent Park and downtown East area to submit proposals in consideration for the residential and commercial areas at Daniels DuEast (West Residence) and Daniels DuEast Boutique (East Residence). The installation of the artwork will take place during fall of 2020. The proposal process will involve consulting with Daniels HR Corporation on the design and fabrication of the work to arrive at a final concept, as well as the installation of the piece.
For The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) each new home community is a work of art — literally. From conception through to completion, every Daniels neighbourhood is designed to enhance its surroundings, the community and to make a statement about its unique character. Daniels has pioneered a new approach to décor and art focused on sourcing local art for each of our new buildings. Within each project Daniels looks to source a wide range of art forms from paintings to photography to sculptures and beyond. This addition of striking local art through community engagement has quickly become a cornerstone of the company’s design philosophy.
The DuEast community is located just north of Dundas Street between Sumach Street and Tubman Avenue. The West tower is at 225 Sumach Street and the East tower is 34 Tubman Avenue. This master-planned community features retail space at the ground level, as well as indoor and outdoor amenities shared between the two residences, where residents will have access to a range of amenity spaces.
Opportunities for Local Art at Daniels DuEast and Daniels DuEast Boutique
In consultation with Mason Studio Inc., a number of opportunities for social purchasing of local artwork have been identified for the common areas and amenity spaces within both residential condominiums and commercial spaces to bring the space to life and tie everything together. Reference pages of the space are attached. Artists from the Regent Park Community and downtown East area are invited to submit artwork that is inspired by the design guidelines for each space (West Lobby, East Lobby, Ground Floor Commercial Lobby, 2nd Floor Amenities, 3rd Floor Amenities, 3rd Floor Commercial Lobby & Guest Suite, 4th Floor Amenities).
A breakdown of the pieces to be commissioned, medium, and location is included in the Response Cover Page.
- Please submit as attachments by email only (no file transfer links to download please) to LocalArt@danielscorp.com to a maximum of 10 MB total.
- Response Cover Page – please read and complete the Response Cover page thoroughly. Completion of the Response Cover Page is mandatory to be considered for the project.
- Curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist – The CV must include your full contact information and any other supporting material you would like to include (web links, reviews, catalogues, etc.) (1-page maximum);
- An artist statement – indicating any connection to the Regent Park community or rationale for interest in working in this community (1 page maximum);
- 1-2 images of artwork you have created or proposed piece(s) – for consideration or commission. For each image please include the following information: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion in the Response Cover Page
- Pieces will be selected in order of priority, budget permitting.
- Priority will be given to artists who live/work in the Regent Park community.
- Submission must include proposed fee(s) for each piece. Artist’s fee proposal to include delivery and if required, storage of piece/s up to 8 months after completion. Artist to coordinate with Daniels for installation.
Only one submission per artist or artist group will be accepted.
The deadline for submissions is 5:00 p.m. on Friday November 29, 2019.
For any other questions, please contact LocalArt@danielscorp.com.