Call for Indigenous Expressions of Interest: StART King-Liberty Bridge Mural Project, Toronto
StreetARToronto invites artists who identify as Indigenous persons to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to participate in the King-Liberty Bridge Mural Project.
The goal of this Expression of Interest (EOI) is to obtain a roster of artists who will be eligible to participate in this project. The King-Liberty Bridge Mural Project aims to beautify and animate the North and South Stairway towers with a mural (one on each tower) representative of the local, historical Indigenous perspective.
This Expression of Interest is facilitated by Quach George. Quach George is an Indigenous arts programmer from the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma and Mohawks of Akwesasne who resides in tsi Tkaronto.
Expressions of Interest are due May 3rd, 2022 by 4:30PM EST.
For more information about StreetARToronto (StART) and this project visit this link.
The murals will transform the King-Liberty bridge into a celebrated community feature representative of the local Indigenous perspective that commemorates the creativity and continued impact of Indigenous artists.
The over-arching theme of this project is Land Back. Artists will explore the history of the land and reconnect those in the community who use this passage back to the land. As people use this bridge, the murals will take them through a journey that reawakens our relationship with Mother Earth. The artwork should focus on our relationship and responsibility, centering the land as a reminder to society that it’s a human responsibility to build a healthy future together.
Finally, the design of the two (2) murals must work cohesively together and complement the existing artwork on the glass panels in the North and South elevator towers by Rebecca Baird (please refer to Image 2 and Image 6 from Section B in the application guidelines for your reference).
Six (6) short-listed artists will then be invited to develop a design-concept that responds to these themes (one concept per short-listed artist).
Artists whose concepts are selected for implementation will be paid as follows:
- North Stairway Tower (Douro Street): $23,062.50 + HST
- South Stairway Tower (Western Battery Road): $16,937.50 + HST
- Total Commission for Entire Project: $40,000 + HST
This REOI is open to Indigenous artists located within Canada who have completed large, outdoor murals and have experience in mural and street art design and implementation.
Indigenous people include Status and Non-Status First Nations, Métis, Inuit. The City understands that the term Indigenous People includes diverse communities and cultures that originate from all areas across Canada.
Interested Street Artists may respond to this Request for Expressions of Interest by completing the application online through Submittable. All Expressions of Interest must include the components detailed below.
When submitting supporting PDF document please save file as “First Name_Last Name_King-Liberty_Bridge”. Videos must be zipped and must not be longer than 15 minutes.
Expressions of Interest should include:
- Full name or names (if collaborative), address with postal code and contact details (telephone and email), social media addresses and/or website if you have these. Please note that at least 50% of the artist team members must self-identify as an indigenous person.
- Artist information and Experience – Highlights (up to but not more than 850 words in 12-point font for each point below).
- Artist Statement and Bio – To understand how and why you do the artwork you do, please tell us about your art, creative process, inspirations and the materials you work with.
- Statement of Interest – Describe your interest in this project and your goals related to creating street art in the public realm.
- Relevant Work History – Please elaborate on your history of working on large scale projects. Include experience working on scaffolding and/or lifts and details on health and safety training if you have it.
- Community Experience – Describe your experience working on projects where you have incorporated community ideas and/or feedback into your final artwork design concept.
- Resume or CV (Optional) – if you are providing a team/collaborative submission, each member may provide a resume.
- Two references who can speak to your art-making experience – please provide their name, phone number and email address.
- Images of past work – up to 5 images. Please include digital images of past work in any medium that best illustrates your qualifications for this project. Please include the following information for each image: Title of work, your role (ie. Artist, Lead Artist, Artist Assistant, Member of Collaborative), medium, dimensions (approx.), location, date of installation.
How to Apply
Please complete and submit the application form under 2022 StART King Liberty Bridge – Open Request for Expression of Interest on Submittable.
Submissions will not be accepted past the deadline.
For further information or questions related to this Request for Expression of Interest please contact Quach George, Project Curator at email@example.com.