Call for Artisans & Designers: McMichael Makers’ Market Online Auction
CELEBRATING THE BEST IN CANADIAN CRAFT AND DESIGN
Application Deadline: February 1, 2021
Auction Dates: February 22 to March 12, 2021
The McMichael Makers’ Market is an online auction featuring Canadian artisans, designers and makers with proceeds going to support of the art of Canada. Participants will earn 50% of each sale while the remainder will go towards supporting the Gallery’s core mission, including exhibitions, educational outreach and public programs. It’s our way of giving back to small, independent Canadian designers and makers who contribute so much to the cultural life of our communities.
The Makers’ Market Online Auction will offer a variety of high-quality, one-of-kind items made by Canadian artisans. Items may include beading, ceramics, decorative sculpture, glass, jewelry, leather, metal, paper, plastic/resin, pottery, stone, textile, wax, weaving, and woodworking. Please note, paintings and other forms of visual art (including photography) are excluded from this auction. Items must be designed in Canada, in impeccable condition, ready-made but not mass produced, and must not infringe on any copyrights or trademarks. All items must be priced with a minimum retail value of $50.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- APPLY — Submit your application through our online form including high-res images of 3 to 5 sample items. Please do not send physical samples.
- SELECTION COMMITTEE — Applications will be evaluated for quality, uniqueness and diversity by a selection committee comprised of Executive Director Ian Dejardin, Manager of Retail Sales Jane Cathers, designer Dyonne Fashina, and other professionals including Debra Fenwick, owner of Fenwick Designs; Eric Pearson, Designer; and Alexa Kinney, Autumn Art Sale juror.
- AUCTION MANAGEMENT — The McMichael will create webpages for each item on the auction website and will oversee the administration, communication, and promotion of the auction to our audiences to get the highest possible bids for your items.
- PAYMENT & DELIVERY — When the auction closes, McMichael will process the sales and e-transfer participants their share (50/50 split). Artisans will be responsible for arranging delivery or pick-up of items directly with the purchaser. Auction winners are responsible for paying shipping costs directly to the artisan.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING
- NO FEE — no upfront costs or donated inventory necessary
- EXPOSURE — reach 7,500 McMichael members and 1,500 patrons
- PROMOTION — includes targeted social media ads (70,000+ art-enthusiasts), digital ads in Canadian arts and culture publications, online auction platform (100,000 reach), mcmichael.com website feature page, outreach through our Foundation Board, Board of Trustees and Women’s Art Council, and promotion in the McMichael newsletter (14,000 subscribers)
HOW TO APPLY
Submit an application at mcmichael.com/MakersMarket-Application with details on 3-5 items and required images by February 1, 2021.
LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE—APPLY TODAY
Contact the Special Events Manager, Carmela Bourassa, at email@example.com
The McMichael is home to iconic Canadian art including works by the Group of Seven and Tom Thomson, Indigenous, Métis, Inuit and contemporary artists. While you’re here, explore 100 acres of woodland and hiking trails in the Humber River Valley, wander the Sculpture Garden, dine in the café, and shop Canadian-made gifts in the Gallery Shop.
Visit mcmichael.com for details and information about other exciting exhibitions, programs and classes at the McMichael.
McMichael Canadian Art Collection
10365 Islington Avenue
Kleinburg, Ontario, Canada, L0J 1C0
905.893.1121 or toll-free 1.888.213.1121
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram