Call for Applications | Funded MFA in Studio Art
The University of Waterloo
MFA, Fine Arts
Application Deadline February 1, 2020
Come here go anywhere—pursue your MFA at the University of Waterloo.
Keith and Win Shantz International Scholarships
A key feature of our program are the Keith and Win Shantz Scholarships, which enable all MFA candidates to travel and study alongside a professional artist during their summer term. Our students have been to the England, Germany, Spain, Scotland, Denmark, Brazil, China, Portugal and the United States. To find out more from our scholarship recipients see the 2018 Shantz Short. We also have an annual MFA field trip paid for by the Shantz endowment fund. This year we went to the Venice Biennale.
Generous Funding Plus
With $34,000 for five consecutive terms (2019), one-on-one mentoring with distinguished faculty, plenty of access to facilities, a solo exhibition in our nationally renowned gallery UWAG, and teaching placements, the University of Waterloo is a real gem.
Here’s Who You Could Work With
- Lois Andison, Associate Professor—sculpture and installation
- Cora Cluett, Associate Professor—photography and painting
- Tara Cooper, Associate Professor—print media and video
- Joan Coutu, Professor—visual culture and art history
- Ivan Jurakic, Director of UWAG—curator
- Doug Kirton, Associate Professor—painting and drawing
- Logan MacDonald, Assistant Professor—indigeneity, installation and curation
- Bruce Taylor, Professor—ceramics, sculpture and drawing
- Jessica Thompson, Assistant Professor—sound, performance, mobile technologies
- Jane Tingley, Associate Professor—responsive/interactive installation, performative robotics, sculpture
- Bojana Videkanic, Assistant Professor—art history, theory, performance art and curation
The MFA Program
Waterloo has an intimate program built around studio research, practice, professional development, and pedagogical training. Studio work culminates in a solo exhibition at UWAG (University of Waterloo Art Gallery); see past thesis exhibitions here. The pedagogical component includes a seminar in course development, two teaching assistantships and the opportunity to teach an introductory, studio-based course.
Top University for Innovation
The University of Waterloo is one of the leading comprehensive universities in the country and has been recognized by Maclean’s magazine as Canada’s top university for innovation for the 25th consecutive year.
The application deadline for our MFA program is February 1, 2020.