JOB POSTING – ASSISTANT CURATOR
Terms: Full-time permanent (35 hours/week)
Start date: Spring 2019
Salary level: Commensurate with experience
Language of work: English (bilingualism an asset)
Oakville Galleries is one of Canada’s leading contemporary art museums, driven by a belief in the singular power of art and artists to deepen our understanding of ourselves and our communities and move us toward a better world. Located thirty minutes from Toronto, Oakville Galleries reaches communities in Oakville, the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and wider audiences nationally and internationally. We are currently seeking a motivated, forward-thinking Assistant Curator to add to our vibrant team.
Nature and scope of position
Reporting to the Curator, the Assistant Curator is responsible for the coordination of the Galleries’ curatorial program, and all registration, collections management and conservation activities for the Galleries’ permanent collection. S/he provides research, technical and administrative support for all exhibitions and manages, maintains and provides access to the permanent collection.
General responsibilities and functions
The Assistant Curator will:
- work with the curatorial team to plan, budget and execute in-house and traveling exhibitions;
- manage incoming and outgoing loans from artists, collectors, dealers, and institutions;
- oversee local, national and international transportation of artworks and related customs arrangements;
- provide insightful research assistance to curatorial colleagues;
- assist with the development and implementation of exhibition-related public programs;
- oversee the Galleries’ collections management system;
- assist with acquisitions to the permanent collection, including donations;
- provide curators, scholars and researchers with access to information about the collection;
- participate in the development of new online initiatives for collections data;
- develop and maintain positive relationships with artists, collectors, donors, and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate has:
- completed a Master’s degree in Art History, Museum Studies, Visual Arts, or a related discipline;
- a demonstrated commitment to contemporary art;
- superior organizational and administrative skills, detail-oriented focus and the ability to manage multiple priorities;
- a proven ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- excellent interpersonal and independent analytical skills;
- strong database management skills;
- the ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with other staff/colleagues at all levels of operation in a fast-paced environment.
A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is a significant asset.
Oakville Galleries is committed to employment equity and diversity. We encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of our audience, including from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ persons.
Please submit a CV and letter of intent in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 29 March 2019