Assistant Curator, Creative Campus, Sheridan College
Assistant Curator (Temporary, Full-time)
Reporting to the Director, Creative Campus, the incumbent conceptualizes programming and exhibits for the Galleries and coordinates their implementation. The incumbent provides research and administrative support for the Galleries and registration and collections management activities. The incumbent is also responsible for overseeing and training work study students and part-time contractors, including technicians.
What You’ll be Doing
- Collaborating with Sheridan stakeholders to develop creative activities and special projects;
- Developing strategic partnerships with external groups to publicly promote profile of the Galleries;
- Responsible for the conception, organization and ongoing production of exhibits and programming in the Galleries;
- Assisting with the development of contracts in the interest of Sheridan Galleries;
- Researching, writing and overseeing production of related publications (e.g. brochures, guides, catalogues);
- Arranging fine art transportation services to ship exhibitions to/from Sheridan and insurance coverage of same when applicable;
- Supporting the strategy to build Sheridan’s collection. This includes acquisition, documentation, preservation, exhibition, transporting, storage and interpretation;
- In consultation with Director, Creative Campus, cultivating prospective donors and art dealers; Working with Advancement to monitor and manage the stewardship needs of donors
- Processing gifts of art to the collection including cataloguing and arranging photography of art for appraisal; commissioning external appraisals;
- Participating in the planning, development, writing, evaluation, and maintenance of a variety of publications, marketing initiatives, media and social networking delivery methods to support outreach, fund-raising and promotional activities and to increase the involvement and engagement of students and other stakeholders;
- Collaborating with Advancement, Digital and Brand Strategy teams with respect to publicity, including writing media releases, preparing advertisement and invitation copy, and contributing to social media presence;
- Liaising with Canadian arts community and cultural groups, including other art galleries and cultural organizations, funding bodies, arts services organizations, and media, Professional Art Dealers’ Association of Canada; Federal Cultural Property Review Committee (for appraisals and acquisitions or those wishing to use Sheridan as an exhibiting venue);
- Overseeing part-time students and allocating tasks, accordingly, ensuring that work is properly completed;
- Preparing budgets for individual exhibitions and programs for review by Director, Creative Campus;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- You demonstrate excellent judgement and your creative problem-solving skills allow you to solve challenges in a creative way.
- You enjoy balancing many different tasks and can prioritize multiple projects while staying organized and maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- You have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and enjoy working as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- You have superlative presentation and influencing skills with an ability to influence at all levels and obtain buy-in when diverse needs and competing priorities exist, and can clearly communicate complex information verbally and in writing across multiple levels.
- Your collaborative spirit is balanced with your ability to take initiative and act independently to advance initiatives.
The successful candidate will also meet the following requirements:
- A Master’s degree in Art, Art History, Museum/Curatorial Studies, Cultural Studies or other related fields along with a minimum of 3 years of curatorial experience with art and culture collections and exhibits, preferably in a university or public art gallery or museum or as an independent curator (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience);
- Knowledge of contemporary art, design and curatorial issues and contact with these communities;
- Excellent project management and administration skills as well as research, analytical and problem solving skills;
- An understanding of public engagement and ability to foster appreciation and understanding of art through exhibits;
- Experience with multiple social media platforms, MS Office and database/content management systems
Who We Are:
“Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community”.
- For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Faculty/Department: Office of Strategy & Change
Campus Location: HMC (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus) once normal campus operations resume. This position is currently working remotely. Occasionally working on campus at least once a week.
Employee Group: Support Staff – Appendix D
Hourly Range: $35.04-$40.60
Application Deadline: August 16th, 2021
Application Details: This is a temporary position that may continue until August 21, 2022
Sheridan is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from marginalized and equity-seeking groups. Persons with a disability may contact the Human Resources department to request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.
Please apply online: https://www.sheridancollege.ca/working-at-sheridan