Art Handler, Caviar20
Art Handler, Caviar20
Employment Type: Part-Time, Independent Contractor
Work Hours: 16-24 hours (2-3 business days per week)
Salary: Prorated $28-32/hour
External Application Deadline: Monday, November 30, 2023
Established in 2009, Caviar20 focuses on the secondary market with an emphasis on 20th century works on paper from both Canadian and international artists. Located at 647 Dupont, the gallery also has a strong digital presence. In addition to various digital programming, we also present 3 or 4 annual exhibitions at the gallery.
Priorities for this role:
- Provide end-to-end oversight of artwork shipments, ensuring secure packing, efficient shipping, and troubleshooting as needed.
- Demonstrate proactive stewardship of gallery presentation and aesthetics.
- Organize, optimize, and maintain all workspaces, storage areas, and public-facing / shared gallery spaces.
- Execute essential registrar duties by overseeing the artwork intake process, inventory management, and coordinating cleaning, restoration, and framing tasks.
Overview of responsibilities:
- Securely pack framed and unframed artwork and sculptures for international shipment.
- Ensure client satisfaction by providing tracking information via email, managing shipping timelines / follow-up, and troubleshooting shipping customs issues with regular updates to the client and internal team.
- Receive all incoming artwork and prepare for storage by unpacking, assessing the condition, and measuring.
- Coordinate pick-up and delivery with external vendors, such as framers and restorers.
- Organize and maintain archival storage for unframed works on paper.
- Manage packing supplies by reordering, organizing, and efficiently reusing shipping materials.
- Perform routine maintenance to uphold the gallery’s presentable condition, including painting, occasional minor repairs, and supply / equipment ordering.
- Install artwork and vinyl decals for quarterly exhibitions and Art Toronto, annually.
- Complete assorted pick-ups and deliveries.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Candidates should have experience with art handling and installation, fine art moving, or as a registrar (either in the commercial or non-profit realm).
- Experience with picture framing is considered an asset.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism and is disciplined, organized, and dedicated to excellence.
- Possesses strong communication skills, a collaborative, team-oriented attitude, and is comfortable working independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be capable of effortlessly lifting and moving a 30 lb box with dimensions of 45” x 40” x 8”.
- Comfortable working with a Mac computer and using programs such as Numbers and Gsuite.
- Holds a driver’s license with a clean record, and has experience with Communato.
- Written French is a welcome asset.
How to Apply
Please email your resume to email@example.com with the subject “Art Handler Application – [First name] [Last Name].